Home occupations are business activities that take place within a home by the resident occupant. In general, a home occupation is not apparent to a casual observer. Home occupations are permitted in all residential zoning districts and there is no need to obtain a permit. A home occupation must fit all of the criteria below.
- Resident occupants - Such occupations shall be conducted solely by resident occupants in their residence.
- Limited floor area - That not more than one-fourth of the area of one floor of the residence shall be used for such purpose.
- Residential character - No architectural feature that would distinguish the dwelling from a normal residence is allowed nor shall the use require internal or external alterations or involve construction features or the use of mechanical equipment not customary in dwellings.
- Entrance - That the entrance to the space devoted to such use shall be from the dwelling.
- Signs - Advertising signs are not permitted.
- Traffic - The activity shall not generate abnormal traffic.
|Examples of Home Occupations|